Despite the end of the school year quickly approaching, we are hard at work in 4th grade!
* In math we have moved into book B! We are currently working on decimals and we have studied the tenths place value. We will eventually learn about the hundredths as well.
* In writer’s workshop, the students have been working on writing their own informational books. They have “researched their brains” to find all they know about a topic. The students have been very motivated and excited about this activity. We should be finishing up our first book this week and starting another right away.
* In social studies, we are currently learning about the southeast region of the United States. The students have been expected to identify and be able to spell each state in the region. They will be receiving the study guide for the Midwest this week! Please help your child study and learn these states, as this is an assignment that should be done mostly at home.
Below is a link for a fun, online game and states and caps song!
* We have also started our Illinois Project and hope to finish up next week. The students are researching various aspects of Illinois and are then creating an online “Museum Box” to display what they learned.
* In reading the students have been strategy streaming, using their knowledge of all their reading strategies to read a wide variety of texts. They have also been participating in literature circles in which they have been able to read fiction novels.
* Important dates *
Tuesday, May 14th, Elementary Orchestra Concert, OOJH, 7:00 pm
Wednesday, May 15th, Elementary Band Concert, OOJH, 7:00 pm
Thursday, May 23rd, 4th grade field trip to Museum of Science & Industry. Please bring a lunch that day.
*Our class is in need of four chaperones that day, please email me if interested email@example.com Please know we do ask parents to take a group of about 4-5 students through the museum that day.
Monday, May 27th, NO SCHOOL, Memorial Day
Friday, May 31st, NO SCHOOL, Records Day